The year was 1902 when Theodore Roosevelt (a.k.a. Teddy) spared a black bear cub’s life while he and his people were hunting in Mississippi. Because of his compassion to the helpless bear cub, the name teddy bear was given to the world-famous stuffed toys.
Well, that’s the history of teddy bears that we know. Below are some other facts you might not yet know:
- The very first recorded appearance of a bear on a literary piece is in the story of “Goldilocks and the Three Bears”. Its older version is entitled “”The Story of the Three Bears””. In its original story in 1834, an old and ugly woman entered the bears’ house whilst the bears are away. The latter versions bring Goldilocks to the story; her character replaced the character of the old and ugly woman.
- The world’s first “Teddy’s Bear” was sold by a Brooklyn-based toymaker named Morris Michtom in November 1902. Michtom got the idea of creating a teddy bear when he learned the story of Roosevelt refusing to shoot a bear. Michtom sent a teddy bear to Roosevelt and asked for the president’s permission to use his name for the toy. It was named “Teddy’s Bear”.
- In the following year (1903), a German company owned by Richard Steiff shipped more or less 3,000 Teddy Bears to the U.S. Steiff, a toymaker, visited several American circuses searching for ideas for new toys. He saw numerous animals at circuses but a troupe of bears that performed tricks caught his attention. He got the idea of making teddy bears from circus bears.
- In the year 1908, British teddy bears were first manufactured by the J.K. Farnell Company and many believes that this company’s version of “Alpha Bear” inspired the people who created one of the most famous bears in the world, Winnie-the-Pooh. The first edition of Winnie-the-Poof was published in 1926.
- It was in 1909 when the first animated cartoon about teddy bears was aired in the U.S. with the title “Little Johnny and the Teddy Bears”.
- The first colored animated film production of Walt Disney, first aired in 1924, involved bears. The title is “Alice and the Three Bears”.
A teddy bear is a perfect, classic gift for that special someone. The likes of Yogi Bear, Fozzie Bear, and Paddington will never be out of date. If you are looking for the best teddy bear (or other gifts) available in the market, visit mashoonya.com today! Aside from teddy bears, we have many other online gifts UAE residents prefer.